Women In Kentucky Deserve To Have Cancer Properly Diagnosed
Although cancer does not discriminate between men and women, there are several forms of cancer that are exclusive to only female patients. While some can be fatal, many can be successfully treated if they are properly diagnosed and caught early.
Delaying a diagnosis or misdiagnosing a female patient that can have serious repercussions for individuals and families. Failing to make a proper and timely diagnosis can be the difference between life and death in a majority of cases, which is something the attorneys at Morris & Player PLLC in Louisville take very seriously.
Cancers Commonly Misdiagnosed In Women
There are a number of cancers that are misdiagnosed or missed altogether every year in states across the nation, including but not limited to:
- Breast cancer — which often goes unnoticed by physicians who fail to detect lumps or growths that could be malignant
- Ovarian cancer — can be mistaken for other conditions, such as irritable bowel syndrome or allergies, because it can causes bloating, abdominal pain and nausea
- Throat cancer — may be mistaken for a sore throat or cold because it presents similar symptoms in its early stages
- Gestational trophoblastic tumor — a rare form of cancer that is mistaken for pregnancy due to the fact that both conditions produce high levels of the hormone beta human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG).
- Bladder cancer — a doctor may mistake pain caused by bladder cancer for something less threatening, like an infection or a non-cancerous disease.
The Cost Of Misdiagnosis Is High
Misdiagnosis of cancer can have costly consequences for women, including:
- Delayed treatment
- Missed opportunity to treat cancer
- Prescription of wrong treatment
- Unnecessary removal of breasts, ovaries or uterus
- Body image issues after mastectomy
- Unnecessary treatments
- Loss of ability to have children
In cases not resulting in death, a misdiagnosis may also cause depression as well as pain and suffering for victims and their families.
Protection For Women Throughout Louisville
If the failure to diagnose cancer or a misdiagnosis caused you or a loved one to suffer serious injuries, mental anguish or grief, then the lawyers at Morris & Player PLLC want to help you hold the negligent medical professional accountable for their actions.
We are one of Kentucky’s leading medical malpractice law firms with a track record of success in these types of cases. We have the resources you need to seek justice and fair compensation. Schedule a free consultation online or call us toll free at 800-501-0431 to meet with an experienced lawyer from our firm.