Kentucky Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury Trial Lawyers

Free Consultation And No Fees If You Don’t Recover Money Damages

This Is An Advertisement

Focused On You. Focused On Your Needs. Focused On Results.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Motor Vehicle Accidents
  4.  » Accident FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Accidents

The attorneys at Morris & Player PLLC in Louisville pride themselves on providing each and every client with the answers they need to feel confident about their accident claim and the process ahead.

If you have questions about your injuries or an accident you were involved in, turn to the trusted lawyers at our firm. Contact us now or see if we have answered your question below.

What’s My Plan Worth?

The amount of compensation you receive from your insurance policy depends on your plan. It determines everything from what types of damages you can recover — including past medical expenses, future health care, lost wages, physical and mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of a loved one and loss of support — to the maximum compensation your policy will pay out.

Should I Go Back To My Doctor?

As long as you are experiencing symptoms related to your accident injury, then you should continue seeing your doctor. This establishes an accurate timeline of your injury, which will help when recovering compensatory damages. Any breaks in care could signal to the insurance company that your injuries weren’t that bad and may deny all or part of your claim as a result.

Do I Need To Give A Statement To My Insurance Company?

No. In fact, you should let a skilled personal injury attorney handle this. If you need to give a statement to an insurer, we can walk you through the process.

Do I Need To Get My Medical Records?

No. You have enough to worry about without adding the stress of gathering medical records from various health care providers. Our lawyers are proficient at putting together medical records in a way that clearly and effectively showcases your injuries and needs.

How Is Fault Established In Kentucky?

We are a no-fault state, which means you will generally seek compensation from your own insurance company after a car accident to cover your injuries. A typical policy will cover up to $10,000.

This does not apply, however, in cases where another driver was negligent and there is clear indication that they were the cause of the crash. In these cases, a third-party claim may be filed with the help of an attorney.

How Does Comparative Fault Work In Kentucky?

Comparative fault can reduce the amount of compensation a victim receives in a settlement if the victim is determined to have been partially to blame for the accident. A percentage of fault is assigned to all parties involved in an accident. The amount a victim receives is the total damages less their percentage of fault.

What Damages Can I Recover?

There are two types of damages that are recoverable after an accident: compensatory damages and punitive damages.

Compensatory damages will cover medical expenses, lost wages, loss of property, das well as other associated costs. Punitive damages are for gross negligence and to punish the at-fault party.

Is There A Cap On How Much I Can Recover?

No. Kentucky currently has no cap on compensatory (economic) or punitive (noneconomic) damages.

Should I Try To Handle Negotiations with The Insurance Company?

No. Insurers don’t like to pay out on a claim if they don’t have to. As such, they may make a low offer in hopes you will settle quickly. With a lawyer at your side, you can make sure the offer is fair and is giving you the maximum compensation you need to cover medical expenses, lost wages and future medical needs.

Do I Need To Go To Court To Handle My Claim After An Accident?

In many cases, going to court is the only way to recover fair compensation after an accident. Although the process can be intimidating and overwhelming, we will never leave you feeling underrepresented; and if at any point you’re worried about proceedings, we will take care of matters for you.

Do I Need An attorney?

If you want to give your personal injury claim the best chance for success, then hiring a lawyer is your best option. You may not be able to recognize when you are getting a fair offer or jeopardizing your claim; we can. We have more than 50 years of combined legal experience handling personal injury and wrongful death claims. We know what’s at stake and the right steps to take in order to secure maximum compensation.

Have Additional Questions?

Don’t hesitate to contact Morris & Player PLLC. Free initial consultations are available and you pay no fees unless we recover damages for you. Call 800-501-0431 or send us an email to get started today.